Many different sutras contain descriptions of the thirty-two marks and eighty characteristics, each with slight variations.
The eighty notable characteristics are:
- Top of his head not visible to others.
- A prominent nose with well-concealed nostrils.
- Eyebrows shaped like a new moon.
- Large, round ears that are long and thick.
- A strong body.
- Closely-fit bones.
- When he turns, his whole body turns, just like a majestic elephant.
- Leaves imprints as he walks.
- Red fingernails.
- Full, rounded knees.
- A clean body.
- Soft, smooth skin.
- Straight, erect posture.
- Round, slender fingers.
- Fine fingerprints.
- No visible veins.
- Well-concealed heel bones.
- A supple, smooth body.
- A round, full body.
- A straight, steady, focused gait.
- A dignified appearance.
- Peaceful and calm deportment.
- A stable posture when standing.
- A majestic presence.
- A pleasing appearance.
- A perfectly sized face.
- Unperturbed demeanor.
- A beautiful, complete face.
- Red lips.
- A voice that carries.
- A deep, round navel.
- Hair that curls to the right.
- Long arms that reach below the knees.
- Flexible arms and legs.
- Clear, straight palm-lines.
- Fine, long palm-lines.
- Unbroken palm-lines.
- Brings joy to those who see him.
- A perfect, broad face.
- A face full like the moon.
- Peaceful, joyful speech.
- Fragrant pores.
- Fragrant breath.
- Appearance awe-inspiring like that of a lion.
- Gait steady like that of an elephant.
- Steps airy like that of a goose king.
- A well-formed forehead.
- A clearly audible voice.
- White teeth.
- A bright red tongue.
- A long, thin tongue.
- Thick body hair.
- Soft, clean body hair.
- Big, wide eyes.
- A clean, unobstructed airway connecting the seven openings of the face.
- Lotus-colored hands and feet.
- A well-concealed navel.
- An abdomen that does not protrude.
- A well-sized abdomen.
- Steady, stable body.
- A sturdy, stable body.
- A large frame.
- Soft, clean hands and feet.
- A ten-foot halo.
- A glowing halo.
- Treats all sentient beings equally.
- A majestic appearance.
- Does not slight any sentient being.
- An even voice.
- Able to vary his teaching methods.
- Teaches according to the circumstances.
- Though speaking with one voice, sentient beings receive many teachings according to their needs.
- Adapts his teachings according to the spiritual maturity of the listener.
- Can be seen with endlessly different appearances.
- An appearance one wishes to see again.
- Long, healthy hair.
- Long, neat hair.
- Neatly curled hair.
- Dark-colored hair.
- A virtuous appearance.
This list is from Seeing the Buddha, by Venerable Master Hsing Yun.
People suffer from a variety of diseases of the mind, such as being greedy, judgmental, or quick to anger. The Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra says, “There are four kinds of diseases of the body, which are due to excessive wind, heat, phlegm, or other causes. There are also four Read more
One of the biggest weaknesses in today’s society is that we have developed the habit of not saying we are sorry. Once we grow up and rise in status and knowledge, apologizing becomes harder and harder. But human beings are not perfect sages and we all make mistakes. Being able Read more
At the many places I engaged in practice and study—at places such as Qixia in Nanjing, Jinshan and Jiaoshan in Zhenjiang, and Tianning in Changzhou, where I was brought up experiencing spring breezes, summer rains, autumn frosts, and winter snows—I studied silently and grew up quietly. I was always thinking as to how Read more
In this modern world, people are constantly saying, “Life is too stressful!” Why are people so stressed out? How can we rid ourselves of stress? Students feel stressed because of heavy schoolwork; parents feel stressed because they have too many chores and family obligations; policemen feel stressed because they have Read more
If someone who holds firmly to the name of Avalokitesvara were to find themselves in a fire, no matter how big, they need not fear being burned by it because of the Bodhisattva’s awe-inspiring spiritual powers. Specifically the passage describes one who “upholds the name.” The Chinese character chi (持), Read more
Do you feel inspired when you see people help each other? Not everyone is. Some people may look at a generous donation and say, “Donating such a small amount of money is nothing extraordinary for such a rich person.” When other people suffer from disasters and pain like the many Read more
Humans are thinking animals! Since the beginning of time, there have always been people who fantasize, who have delusions, who dream—and many who have ideals. When we lie in our beds at night, we should be free from worry. Yet thoughts about our lives often arise then; thoughts about family, Read more
We sometimes see signs on the highway warning: “Keep a safe distance.” Actually, it is not only in driving that we need to keep a distance. For safety reasons, any person and anything in the world needs to keep a distance.Take, for instance, the human body. Our eyes, nose, and Read more