Open Position – English Editor
The Fo Guang Shan International Translation Center is a non-profit religious organization dedicated to the translation and distribution of Buddhist texts. FGSITC is looking for an English Editor to edit Chinese to English translations and oversee publication of Buddhist texts. Preference will be given to applicants available to work full time, Monday through Friday. All applicants must live in the greater Los Angeles area or be willing to relocate.
- Edit book-length Chinese to English translations of Buddhist teachings for style, clarity, and accuracy.
- Research Buddhist sources in Chinese and English to check facts and quotations in translated texts.
- Supplement translations with footnotes and explanatory material to localize translations for an English-speaking audience.
- Collaborate and communicate with other editors to establish consistent style and voice across projects.
- Coordinate with editorial and production teams, distribute projects, and set editorial and production milestones.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Degrees in Religious Studies, East Asian Studies, Buddhist Studies, Literature, or English preferred.
- Previous experience as a writer, editor, or journalist preferred.
- Reading knowledge of modern vernacular Chinese and Buddhist scriptural Chinese preferred.
Skills and Knowledge
- Clear, engaging, and instructive writing.
- Adaptive writing that can conform to house style or the needs of the project.
- Extreme attention to detail and an aptitude for close reading.
- Understanding of Buddhist concepts, texts, and history.
- Organized, able to work independently, under deadline, and manage time across several writing projects at once.
- Comfortable working as a team in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural environment.
- Multitasking skills
If you are interested in joining our team and would like to request an interview, please submit a resume with a sample of your best writing to email@example.com.